Cardio isn’t everyone’s cup of tea! It’s often a “forgotten” element if you are a regular strength trainer. For you regular cardiovascular slaves, spending hours each week sweating it out on aerobic machines it can become demotivating. There is good news! You can now include cardio in to your training and decrease the time you spending pounding the pavement.
What Is HIIT Cardio?
HIIT training (high intensity interval training) is an intense form of cardio, has many benefits and should definitely replace a couple of your regular cardio sessions each week! You will only need to spend between 15-30 mins each time you train (now, compare that to the length of time spent now on a bike or cross trainer – great news right?!) HIIT training is alternating between periods of intense anaerobic exercise with periods of lesser intensity or even rest.
Some benefits of HIIT training are:
- Less time spent pounding the pavement.
- You can do it anywhere and with no need for any equipment.
- Burns fat more efficiently as it increases your metabolism by stimulating the production of the Human Growth Hormone by up to 450% during the 24 hour period AFTER you exercise! Basically your body reacts to the intense exertion by kicking your body’s repair in to overdrive meaning you burn fat and calories up to 24 hours afterwards.
- Helps keep your heart healthy as you put your body into an anaerobic state which helps improve your cardiovascular fitness.
- Targets burning fat more efficiently and doesn’t burn muscle like some other forms of cardio exercise does.
Contact Us For More Advice
It is a tough little cardio session but as you can see the benefits are worth the extra effort! And don’t forget you will be spending less time if you put in the extra mile! Below is a simple example of HIIT training…try it now! Please contact us for more advice on HIIT training or any other questions you may have on health or fitness.. Our commitment is to your health.
An Example Of A HIIT Cardio Routine:
Warm up 5 minute jog
1 min sprint (as fast as you possibly can…imagine running after an ice cream van!)
2 min walk
Repeat this 3 minute set X 5 beginners
X 7 intermediate
X 10 Advanced
Good luck and have fun.